Thursday, October 26, 2017

Shaky Cam for 'Mudbound'?


Cinematographer Rachel Morrison went with a shaky cam for Dee Rees' 'Mudbound'. I get the notion that a 'you are there' feel was needed for this material, but I'm not sold on the final effect. Morrison also shot 'Fruitvale Station' shaky and, with that movie, the look works -- dovetails with the energy, urban feel, adds a sense of dread. In 'Mudbound' is seems to lessen the narrative, detract from the dramatic weight.

I was surprised to see that Morrison also shot the upcoming 'Black Panther' which, from early trailers, has the gloss (and steady camera) one would expect of such a product. Not that a cinematographer can't do both, of course, I just can't help but feel a steady camera would have been better for 'Mudbound'.

At about 1:55 Carey Mulligan says, 'When I think of the farm, I think of mud. I dreamed in brown' which, for me, is very powerful. 

First trailer came out about a month ago and I was impressed by the girl (is this Mulligan's character in her youth?) eating mud (at 1:16)


































No comments:

Post a Comment