Tuesday, May 21, 2019

'Shooting Nikki'

Draft page from a script I'm working on called "Shooting Nikki"

Alan 'Marcy' Green


SHOOTING NIKKI


EXT. STREET - DAY

NIKKI
Would you have lunch with me?

FRANK
(cheesy) No. (off her surprise) I can see this coming a
mile away. (beat) Just because I'm homeless--

NIKKI
(over) --Oh! Of all the--

FRANK
(over) --And black. (off her) You probably don't...I don't blame
you. White people need--

NIKKI
--You self-pitying asshole!

Nikki unlocks her car, opens the door.

NIKKI
I'm not white!

Frank is confused. Nikki gets in the car, locks eyes, and...

NIKKI
I'm Australian!

She slams the door. Frank knocks on the window, twirls his finger ... 'Roll the window down'.

She lowers the window one inch.

FRANK
Get out.

She glares, he returns.

NIKKI
No!

FRANK
I need you to--

NIKKI
--I'm not...Why?

FRANK
I'm jacking the car, kidnapping you, 
and...whatever else I can think of.

He points at the pavement (with his right hand). 'Out, now'.

FRANK
Please! (points with left hand) Let's have lunch.

She glares, he returns, pointing with both hands (in different directions).

INT. BAR - MOMENTS LATER

Frank and Nikki stand in the middle of the entryway.

NIKKI
I don't want lunch.
I can't eat.

FRANK
Neither can I.

NIKKI
You wanna drink?

FRANK
Yeah. Okay.

She leads the way.


INT. BAR - MOMENTS LATER

They sit at the bar. Awkward, both staring forward. Nikki smiles.

NIKKI
(looking forward)
How many cars have you jacked?

FRANK
Not many.

The bartender delivers two Budweisers.

Nikki moves to pay.

FRANK
I got these--

NIKKI
--Let's split this one.

She pays with a crisp twenty, he with a crumpled five. Frank watches her take the five and push the twenty toward the bartender. The bartender leaves. She gives him the five back.

FRANK
Why are you doing this?

NIKKI
How long have you been in LA?

FRANK
Three weeks.

NIKKI
And, I'm the only person you know?

FRANK
What makes you think that?

She knows. He knows she knows. She knows he knows she knows.

FRANK
This is charity, then?

NIKKI
Probably.

FRANK
What is that supposed to mean?

NIKKI
I've lived in LA for twenty years and I don't know anybody.

Her change arrives. She thanks the bartender.

NIKKI
I don't have a single friend. (beat) I know a lot of people,
but... Where are you from?

FRANK
Chicago.

NIKKI
How many people there would you call friends?

FRANK
Some. Not many.

NIKKI
The way I look, as rich as I am, I can't talk to anybody.
It's like a broken, fake record -- the people I know.

She picks up her beer.

NIKKI
Stop looking at me. I can't drink with you looking at me.

He turns away, takes his beer. They drink.

FRANK
That's normal, isn't it. Or, is it?

NIKKI
I don't know. (beat) My husband's
leaving me.

FRANK
I'm sorry to hear that.

Nikki watches Frank in the bar's mirror. She likes him.

NIKKI
Can you see me in the mirror?

FRANK
Vodka's in the way.

NIKKI
I can see you.

Frank realizes he is now in a personal relationship. Nikki hopes she hasn't gone too far. Frank places his hand on Nikki's.
































.

No comments:

Post a Comment